Thursday, December 3, 2009

Is joining the STC worth it?

I am new to the field of technical writing. I wanted to make sure that I would have a good footing in the field after I graduate in April, so I talked to some technical writers in the area I am planning on living. Both suggested joining the STC, Society for Technical Communication. I wanted to do some research and see whether some others agree. Here are some things I have learned from other blogs:

The STC is a professional society that is dedicated to advancing technical writing. It is international and has hundreds of local chapters.


The Benefits




Networking

Many people have mentioned that this is the main reason for joining the STC. This is the reason why the professionals I talked to suggested I join. It does seem to have good reasoning. We are in a recession right now. The networking in the STC is more than any graduate can find on his/her own.

Job Listings

The STC has a job bank for local employment opportunities. This is a nice feature. Not all jobs are listed online or in the paper and this way you get a job through someone who knows where to look.

Improving Marketable Skills

The STC has conferences where tech writers can learn new skills. Jenise Aminoff explains, "The STC hosts lots of events on topics ranging from usability to structured authoring to writing tools." It is a great way to stay knowledgeable in the profession.



The Downside





The STC costs money

This is one I didn't know about when I talked to the professionals. It makes sense. Money is always involved in organizations. Is it worth it to pay it though? Some people solve this by not offering it to everyone. "This employer doesn’t see enough value in STC to pay for all of the employed technical communicators to belong."- Ivan Walsh.



While we are going through a recession, the money might be worth the job opportunities the STC provides. Here is an image that explains:


It Is Sometimes Outdated

Some blogs explained the inefficient rigidness the STC experiences. No one wants to change and this leaves things outdated. Tom Johnson relates," They do seem to be a bit behind the times. For example, two years ago I was excited to learn the website was going to be redesigned. If I remember correctly, it was announced at a conference. But the only difference I can see now is the big blue buttons and the redesigned logo"

It Is Going Through A Recession

Along with the rest of the world, the STC is having its own financial troubles. n the blog speakertogeeks.blogspot.com, she tells us about reading the Member Update on STC Financial Crisis, "Members are not renewing their memberships, new members are not joining, and far fewer people are attending STC conferences and events, with the effect that the STC now has a more than $1 million deficit."

Will the STC be able to ride out the recession, or is it going to flop like some large corporations that have already gone under?

I like how Tom Johnson explains this:

"But if the STC were to dissolve, although it would be a tremendous blow to the communities across the globe, the hundreds of tech comm. bloggers would still create engaging content to read. Academics and other authors would still publish books and articles. Vendors would still continue to develop and innovate products. Listservs would continue to flourish. Conferences (though smaller) would still be held. The profession would continue to thrive."


I think I will wait until I get closer to graduating before joining.

No comments:

Post a Comment